Warehouse managers are charged with becoming as efficient and productive as possible while overseeing labor, staff members, workloads, schedules, third-party vendors, and overall operations. They also need to balance improving efficiency while implementing innovative technology initiatives and procedures so they don’t implement too many changes at once; otherwise, warehouse productivity will come to a screeching halt.
There are so many aspects of warehouse management that ongoing training and professional development becomes critical to any warehouse manager’s success. In light of the need to become as efficient as possible and increase productivity, we have gathered some of the top training resources from leading institutions of learning, training providers, and warehouse management experts. We have included a mix of courses, seminars, webinars, and more so that you can find the resources that are best suited to your needs and your busy schedule. Please note that, while we have included our top warehouse management training resources here in no particular order, we have included a Table of Contents to make it more convenient for you to find the resources of most interest to you.
Courses, Certificates, and Seminars
1. IIBS Warehouse Management (WM)
Innovations in Business Solutions (IIBS) College, located on the Mississauga Campus in Canada, is a leading provider of corporate and professional training services in ERP, project management, business analysis, and quality assurance. IIBS ensures best-in-class training in SAP and warehouse management and offers customized corporate training that is a cost-effective solution. Their Warehouse Management training includes master data, packing and picking strategies, enterprise structure, delivery processing, and more in relation to SAP’s modules.
- Learn the organizational structures of the SAP WMS
- Understand the integration of Warehouse Management with other logistical applications in the ERP Central Component
- Conduct inventory management in randomly-organized and fixed-bin storage types
- Process all relevant movements and tasks in the warehouse, including goods receipt and goods issue
Cost: Contact for course cost
2. Warehousing Qualifications Certificate
The Institute of Supply Chain Management (IoSCM) supports professional development in supply chain through UK-approved qualifications and membership. Their qualification in warehousing is available at levels 2, 3, and 5 and is best suited to professionals in the industry who want to move into a more senior role within the sector.
- Delivered via the ioSCM online learning platform to enhance learning and deliver a unique, first-class learning environment
- Access study materials, learning resources, and the exclusive members network
- Topics include supervisory management skills, career development in efficiency in operations, inventory process, supply chain, and more
Cost: Contact for
3. Warehouse Management Online Course & Certificate
A leading provider of instructor-led online courses in science, engineering, and technology management, Technology Ed offers the Warehouse Management Online Course & Certificate. Worth two continuing education units and having a duration of 20 contact hours, this warehouse management course and certificate includes 11 modules and is delivered via Technology Ed’s award-winning online learning management system.
- Choosing the right operation, processes, and equipment
- Continuously improving performance through appropriate measures and controls
- Warehouse functions, processes, organization, and operations
4. Online Graduate Certificate in Operations & Supply Chain Management
Southern New Hampshire University offers more than 200 accredited degree programs. Their online graduate certificate in operations and supply chain management introduces learners to the key concepts, strategies, and processes used in producing goods and distributing them to customers. All courses required for certification are taught by experienced operations and supply chain management professionals who connect theory with practical applications for a real warehouse.
- Explore areas including transportation planning, technology, inventory control, warehouse management, quality control, and procurement
- Gain marketable skills in operations and supply chain management
- Get insight into the warehouse management decision-making processes used to successfully bring goods to market
- $627/credit hour
- Degree/Certificates for Active-Duty Military and Their Spouses
- $470/credit hour
5. How to Plan and Manage Warehouse Operations
The American Management Association offers curriculum designed especially for practicing and future warehouse managers. Their How to Plan and Manage Warehouse Operations course is an intermediate-level training course that enables working professionals to learn at their own pace and understand how to maximize effective use of space, equipment, and labor to manage warehouse operations.
- Organize warehouse space, equipment, and personnel for maximizing efficiency and customer satisfaction
- Develop a warehouse information system plan for managing and controlling receiving, storage, picking, and shipping operations and losses
- Select the best combination of materials-handling and storage equipment
- Fill orders faster and more cost effectively
6. Inventory Management – Using Inventory Models Course
Offering 750 certification/diploma courses, ALISON is a global leader in free online workplace skills training. Their Inventory Management – Using Inventory Models Course is a free online course that introduces inventory management basics and concepts such as deterministic demand and probabilistic demand. Published by NPTEL, this course for warehouse managers has a duration of 3-4 hours and allows learners to study at their own pace.
- Includes inventory models with worked examples and type of costs
- Designed for professionals working in procurement and operations management
- Determine how much inventory should be brought in
7. Excellence in Warehouse Management
The world’s largest destination for online courses, Udemy offers Excellence in Warehouse Management. Participants will learn how to manage the storage and handling, efficiency, costs, and value in the modern warehouse over the course of 42 lectures and 6.5 hours of video. With 4.7 stars out of 5, this course is one of the top-rated warehouse management courses offered by Udemy.
- Determine how warehouse management directly affects business
- Features the instructor’s real-world knowledge and experience gained through hands-on warehouse operations
- Improve warehouse procedures as a whole by examining current challenges and future advances in warehouse management
- Increase productivity, reduce costs, improve customer relations, maintain employee safety, and mitigate negative environmental effects
8. Online Going Physical Free Course
Committed to helping organizations create sustainable lean organizations by emphasizing strategy execution, supply chain management, and education, Transformance Advisors offer their going physical free course to instruct warehouse managers in implementing cycle counting and eliminating wasteful inventory management practices. After successful completion of the course, participants will earn a certificate of completion.
- Define inventory record accuracy in relation to benefits and costs that impact your organization
- Establish effective cycle counting processes to improve inventory record accuracy
- Build a business case for going physical free
9. SAP WM Warehouse Management
Offered Throughout the Year
Instructed by industrial engineer Ricardo Naya, who is certified in production and inventory management and SAP PP, SAP WM Warehouse Management includes six lectures and 39 minutes of video to teach participants how to use the SAP WM functionality.
- Subdivide SAP Inventory Management Storage Locations in different places at the same time
- Using organizational units
- Creating Master Data
- WM process descriptions
10. Warehouse and Inventory Management Training Course
Offered Throughout the Year
Public Classes, Webinars, Self-Study, and Group Training
The Academy of Business Training (ABT) is dedicated to helping professionals via business development training to improve business skills and knowledge. ANT offers classroom instruction, webinars, and self-study courses for individual participants or on-site instruction or webinars for groups. Their Warehouse and Inventory Management Training Course is designed to help you learn best practices and procedures to optimize warehouse operations.
- Best-in-class supply chain performance
- Four elements of warehouse optimization
- Change management for facilitating change-oriented culture
- Material handling
- Warehouse services and processes
Cost: Three-day class: $1,699; Discounts are available
11. Certificate in Warehouse Management
Offered Throughout the Year
Lloyd’s Maritime Academy, a leading globally trusted brand for professional development in shipping, ports, and logistics, offers distance learning courses with training and tutoring. For warehouse managers who want to learn more about managing operations, assets, and costs to maintain an efficient supply chain process, Lloyd’s Certificate in Warehouse Management is a course to consider. Typically offered over the course of 16 weeks, this course will help you understand how to control inventory and warehousing functions efficiently.
- Effectively balance increasing customer satisfaction with reducing inventory level
- Understand how technology can be utilized to improve the picking process
- Manage warehouse processes efficiently to meet demand at an acceptable cost
- Realize effective management of the warehouse’s role in the supply chain
- Manage resource planning
Cost: Contact for course cost
12. Inventory & Warehouse Management Program
Offered Throughout the Year
Online, On-Site, and In the Classroom
SAP’s world-class education, training, and certification programs empower SAP users to enhance their technology proficiency. Warehouse managers opt to choose courses from SAP’s Inventory & Warehouse Management program to drive more value from their inventory and warehouse management processes. Courses include Processes in Logistics Execution Virtual Class, Delivery Processing in SAP ERP Virtual Class, Warehouse Management, and Handling Unit Management Virtual Class, among others.
- Gain insight into planning, entry, warehouse-internal movements and storage, and the recording and tracking of materials based on quantity and value
- Learn more about stock movement documentation, including goods and receipts, good issues, physical stock transfers, transfer posting, and stocktaking
- Courses offered online, on-site, and in the classroom
Cost: Contact for course costs
13. Excellence in Purchase and Warehouse Management
Offered Throughout the Year
SkillBiz Solutions, a premium content provider that creates engaging, relevant experiences for students, offers Excellence in Purchase and Warehouse Management via Udemy. This course for warehouse management features six lectures and 43 minutes of video designed to teach participants how to effectively manage end-to-end flow of materials in an organization.
- Inefficiencies in warehouse operations
- Warehouse excellence in five key dimensions
- Skills needed to become an efficient purchase manager in your organization
- How to detect opportunities for improving warehouse functions
14. DipHE & BSc(Hons) in International Supply Chain Management: Warehouse Management and Inventory Control Systems
Supply Solutions is a UK-based company that offers in-company supply chain, procurement, and logistics training in conjunction with Plymouth University. The goal is to offer training to busy warehouse managers without taking extended periods away from daily work. A level 5 course, DipHE & BSc(Hons) in International Supply Chain Management is designed to deliver a deep understanding of key concepts associated with the information and physical aspects of inventory management.
- Understand the main principles of warehouse design and management
- Learn the relationship between physical warehousing and inventory management
- Demonstrate appropriate approaches to managing staff, systems, and processes used in warehouse function
Cost: Contact for course cost
15. Warehouse Management Training Courses
E-Platform and On-Site Training
ZELCO is an international consulting practice that offers training to assist companies in improving customer service and productivity through the optimized use of integrated logistics. Their warehouse management training courses include five days that center on the principles for balancing material flows and workloads in a warehouse in order to create a productive, cost-effective operation.
- Organize and improve working methods in warehouses
- Understand integrated logistics and the role of warehouses in the supply chain
- Analyze flows in systematic layout planning
- Explore various methods for order picking, inventory taking, and more
Cost: Contact for training costs
16. Lean Warehouse Management Training
Leading Edge Group is a global leader in the provision of continuous improvement consultancy and Accredited Lean Education. Their Lean Warehouse Management Training is a one-day session that is delivered on-site at your facility to help you adopt lean management practices in collaboration with other members of the supply chain.
- Offers significant opportunities to reduce inventory investment
- Learn to optimize inventory turns and maximize resource efficiencies
- Understand how to create a lean warehouse to serve customers faster with less space, less inventory, and more accuracy
Cost: Contact for training cost
17. Distribution and Warehouse Management Course 1214
A professional association of buyers and purchasing managers, the American Purchasing Society offers the Distribution and Warehouse Management Course 1214. This online course covers warehouse design, required space, equipment, operating activities, locator systems, product identification, and distribution training.
- Part 1 of the Preparation for Certified Professional in Distribution and Warehousing (CPDW) Exam course
- Requires up to 2-3 continuous hours of attendance
- Attend the course at any time during the day for more convenience
18. Warehousing & Inventory Control Conference
National Seminars Training (NST) provides resources to boost careers and build skills for professional growth. Their Warehousing & Inventory Control Conference is designed to solve supply chain management issues and help warehouse managers transform warehouses into dynamic, productive, cost-effective machines.
- 1-day conference with optional second-day workshops
- Managing product by keeping inventory flow running smoothly
- Managing processes via the logistics of supply chain management
Cost: Contact for training cost
19. Purchasing and Supply Management Training
Trainers Direct offers seminars, webinars, onsite management training, project management training, customer service training, finance training, and purchasing training. Their Purchasing and Supply Management Training program is a series of onsite training courses that cover everything from purchasing negotiations to managing and improving warehouse operations. Most of the courses in the program are two or three day training workshops for up to 20 participants.
- Learn about equipment, layout, inventory control, and material handling
- Understand how to assess what will work best for your specific operation
- Develop an action plan to apply the ideas from the training course immediately
Cost: Contact for training cost
20. LLA Advanced Warehousing
Offered Throughout the Year
On-Site Training or Online
Logistics Learning Alliance (LLA) provides supply chain and logistics development in IoSCm supply chain and CILT logistics programs online or in blended-learning situations. Their advanced warehousing course centers on balancing stock levels with customer service.
- Design a warehousing network appropriate to the logistics strategy
- Evaluate customer service level requirements
- Plan warehouse layout
- Evaluate and select appropriate handling and storage equipment
- Use systems for managing people and warehousing equipment
21. Supply Chain Management Series: Lean Warehousing with Manny Cantone
Georgia Tech Supply Chain & Logistics Institute (GTSCL) provides global leadership for research and education in supply chain engineering. In this warehouse management webinar, LeanQuest’s Manny Cantone discusses how to accomplish managing warehouses efficiency by bringing Lean principles into the warehouse and distribution center.
Three key ideas we like from Supply Chain Management Series: Lean Warehousing with Manny Cantone:
- Lean operating principles such as building in quality, standardizing work, implementing just in time, and utilizing visual management
- Lean warehouses rely on a culture that puts the customer first, is based on trust and respect, promotes continuous improvement, is team driven, centers on learning, and features principled leadership
- The relationship between value stream mapping for the warehouse and lean warehouse values and principles
22. Scaling Multichannel Fulfillment: How to Increase Inventory Accuracy While Improving Warehouse Efficiencies
Stitch Labs offers top inventory management software to help modern retailers streamline multichannel operations, boost productivity, and increase profitability. Featuring presenters Jake Gasaway, co-founder and VP of Stitch Labs, and Eric Luoma, CEO of Scout, this on-demand webinar explores how integrated warehousing and inventory management solutions drive efficiencies and provide greater supply chain transparency.
Three key topics we like from Scaling Multichannel Fulfillment: How to Increase Inventory Accuracy While Improving Warehouse Efficiencies:
- Optimizing warehouse inventory management
- Streamlining operational workflows to improve efficiencies
- Automating and integrating operations for increased supply chain visibility
23. Warehouse Management Best Practices Part 1: Improve Inventory Accuracy with Cycle Counting
Datex is a leading developer of software solutions for the 3PL, cold storage, warehousing, distribution, and manufacturing industries. This brief Datex webinar examines best warehouse management practices with a focus on improving inventory accuracy with cycle counting.
Three key ideas we like from Warehouse Management Best Practices Part 1: Improve Inventory Accuracy with Cycle Counting:
- Warehouse managers work to streamline physical inventory count practices that are labor intensive and often result in a variety of inventory inaccuracies
- Automated data collection tools for customized cycle counting enable warehouse staff to count, verify, and update inventory data in real time
- Better serve customers, reduce inventory holding costs, and increase warehouse efficiency with real-time warehouse management systems and customized cycle counting programs
24. Webcast: Barcode Technology for Better Warehouse Management
SearchManufacturingERP is TechTarget’s resource for manufacturing IT, with the latest ERP for the manufacturing industry. They share a webcast from Eval-Source, a leading software analyst and consulting firm. Part two of a three-part series, Webcast: Barcode Technology for Better Warehouse Management, features industry expert Dylan Persaud exploring automatic identification and data capture technology and explaining the benefits of barcode technology in manufacturing warehouse management practices.
Three key ideas we like from Webcast: Barcode Technology for Better Warehouse Management:
- Learn how barcodes work
- Understand how barcodes promote efficiency throughout an organization
- Applications of barcodes within the warehouse for item tracking and location tracking
25. Lean Warehousing Concepts and Principles
Georgia Tech Supply Chain & Logistics Institute and LeanCor Supply Chain Group’s Lean Warehousing Concepts and Principles webinar examines proven principles of lean management to cut waste and improve warehouse efficiencies. LeanCor VP and GTSCL instructor Brad Bossence is the featured presenter in this warehouse management webinar.
Three key topics we like from Lean Warehousing Concepts and Principles:
- Key elements of lean thinking to use in the warehouse
- Utilizing lean tools to reduce warehouse waste
- Operating a warehouse based on visual management and real-time problem solving
26. Top 5 Solutions to Common Inventory Management Mistakes – Business Quick Tips
Fishbowl Inventory is the top-selling inventory management software for QuickBooks users. Their warehouse management webinar, Top 5 Solutions to Common Inventory Management Mistakes, explores warehouse mismanagement and offers solutions to avoiding inventory mistakes.
Three key tips we like from Top 5 Solutions to Common Inventory Management Mistakes – Business Quick Tips:
- Use reorder points to streamline the purchasing process and balance inventory levels
- Invest in specialized training for mission critical software
- Focus on organizing your warehouse to optimize efficiency, such as placing items you sell most closest to the shipping dock
27. 5 Tips to Maximize Your Warehouse Storage
HiCube is a full service supplier of warehouse and storage services, covering storage system layout and design, installation, engineering, permit coordination, and leasing. Their warehouse management webinar offers a brief, informative look into maximizing warehouse storage.
Three key tips we like from 5 Tips to Maximize Your Warehouse Storage:
- Use drawers and container storage for small parts
- Use vertical dividers to boost efficiency by keeping parts and products in the correct places
- Consider mobile shelving to easily adapt your layout to your evolving needs
28. 10 Easy-to-Implement Tips to Improve Your Warehouse Management Process
The Calgary Regional Partnership is a collaborative effort of local municipalities that work for a prosperous future in the Calgary Region. Their warehouse management SlideShare offers 10 tips for improving processes to increase efficiency.
Three key tips we like from 10 Easy-to-Implement Tips to Improve Your Warehouse Management Process:
- Create smaller warehouses within a warehouse
- Review your current picking method to increase efficiency and productivity
- Implement a relevant incentive program for pickers
29. 6 Ways to Optimize Your Warehouse Management System
Stitch Labs seeks to help warehouse managers optimize system operations in order to increase sales, boost productivity, and get organized with this SlideShare. 6 Ways to Optimize Your Warehouse Management System reads like a short eBook and offers insight relating to each tip.
Three key tips we like from 6 Ways to Optimize Your Warehouse Management System:
- Spending time cleaning up warehouses is inefficient and can be frustrating, which taxes a manager’s mental energy and affects the bottom line
- Make best-selling products more accessible to optimize the picking process and develop a more efficient system
- Analyze your stock layout and order data to placing items that frequently ship together in close proximity in the warehouse
30. 10 Tips to Improve Your Warehouse Productivity
StarTrack, a business of Australia Post, has what it takes to tackle any logistics challenge. They also want to help warehouse mangers tackle your efficiency and productivity concerns with their top 10 tips.
Three key tips we like from 10 Tips to Improve Your Warehouse Productivity:
- Regularly review your floor plan to ensure optimal efficiency
- Choose shelving options that enable you to easily expand
- Install voice recognition technology to improve the speed with which your workers interact with your warehouse infrastructure
31. Greg’s Top Tips for Warehouse Accuracy
Barcoding expert and warehouse process specialist Greg Dow shares solutions for common warehouse system design errors in Greg’s Top Tips for Warehouse Accuracy, a SlideShare that presents content from a presentation in white paper form.
Three key tips we like from Greg’s Top Tips for Warehouse Accuracy:
- Choose legible barcodes for the products and parts in your warehouse
- Test intended readers with your barcodes in order to match scanners to your labels
- Utilize barcodes for all data entry, including locations marking
32. Applying Lean Concepts in a Warehouse Operation
Advent Design Corporation provides manufacturing and engineering support to companies in nearly every manufacturing sector. In this warehouse management SlideShare, Advent Design partner Frank Garcia covers basic lean concepts for warehouse improvement, value stream maps for current and future state, and much more.
Three key ideas we like from Applying Lean Concepts in a Warehouse Operation:
- Using lean techniques to improve warehouses includes involving operators and supervisors
- Utilizing value stream maps for lean improvements includes training team members in the use of lean concepts and integrating a lean implementation plan
- Taking advantage of opportunities for improved efficiency and productivity includes considering rack storage and utilization, walking and lifting in palletizing, and order picking and shipping
Tips, How-Tos, and Guides
33. Warehouse Management – A Complete Guide to Improving Efficiency and Minimizing Costs in the Modern Warehouse
Part of Elsevier R&D Solutions, Knovel offers engineering information and data analytics to enable innovation. Written by Gwynne Richards and consisting of seven parts, this Knovel warehouse management guide focuses on improving efficiency and minimizing costs.
Three key topics we like from Warehouse Management – A Complete Guide to Improving Efficiency and Minimizing Costs in the Modern Warehouse:
- Warehouse processes including receiving and put-away and pick preparation
- The latest technological advances in warehouse management and operations
- Critical aspects of warehouse management including cost reduction, productivity, people management, and warehouse operations
Cost: FREE for Knovel subscribers
34. Optimizing Warehouse Management
Optimizing Warehouse Management is an interactive guide from Stitch Labs that includes tips, an on-demand webinar, a case study. As the guide explains, warehouse managers need to continually work to strategically improve efficiencies, reduce costs, and exceed customers’ expectations.
Three key tips we like from Optimizing Warehouse Management:
- Transform warehouses from cost drivers to maximized value providers
- Effective warehouse management should minimize errors, delays, and disruptions, maximize productivity, ensure compliance and security, and provide supply chain visibility
- Optimize your warehouse operations by evaluating your operational value chain, implementing automated and integrated technologies, and analyzing warehouse performance
35. Lean Warehouse Management: Challenges & Strategies
A B2B commerce platform that helps manufacturers and distributors grow by powering in-person and online ordering, Handshake examines warehouse management challenges and strategies in this guide specifically geared toward wholesale. As the guide explains, there are specific areas of waste and areas of focus that should drive lean warehouse management strategy.
Three key tips we like from Lean Warehouse Management: Challenges & Strategies:
- Understand all challenges and areas of waste prior to designing and implementing a lean warehouse management plan
- Reduce lead times by considering standardization, personnel, pull and one-piece flow, takt time, and zero defect
- Utilize a lean warehouse management strategy to control inventory management and reduce lead-time and working capital
36. The Definitive Guide to Warehousing
The Council of Supply Chain Management Professionals and Scott B. Keller, professor of logistics and marketing, and Brian C. Keller, independent consultant supporting commercial industry companies and government entities, present The Definitive Guide to Warehousing. This excerpted guide details how to manage the storage and handling of materials and products in the supply chain.
Three key topics we like from The Definitive Guide to Warehousing:
- Expectations for modern warehouses, including contributing to the overall client business objectives and cost reductions
- Warehouse managers add value for manufacturers, assembly operations, and consolidation points by receiving, storing, maintaining, picking, and shipping materials and components to support large-volume purchase discounts
- Costs for managing and holding greater levels of inventory in warehouses must be compared with the cost of transporting in large quantities
37. Five Simple Ways to Improve Warehouse Efficiency
Published on behalf of the Chartered Institute of Procurement & Supply, Supply Management is a leading procurement and supply chain magazine. In Five Simple Ways to Improve Warehouse Efficiency, Supply Management offers five tips for creating an efficient warehouse to ensure customer satisfaction to ensure quick, accurate shipments.
Three key tips we like from Five Simple Ways to Improve Warehouse Efficiency:
- Maximize and optimize available space by considering better use of vertical space instead of expanding the footprint of your warehouse
- Adopt lean inventory to reduce or eliminate safety stocks
- Adopt enabling technology such as a warehouse management system (WMS) or an ERP system with a powerful WMS module to improve efficiency
38. 10 Ways to Improve Warehouse Efficiency and Reduce Costs
Multichannel Merchant is an online and in-print publication that reaches key decision makers responsible for ecommerce, management, marketing, and operations at companies that sell merchandise through multiple channels. They deliver original research, in-depth analysis of trends and best practices, news, how-tos, and more to help companies sell and deliver products.
Three key tips we like from 10 Ways to Improve Warehouse Efficiency and Reduce Costs:
- Engineer incentive pay for performance to improve labor productivity
- Simplify warehouse processes to reduce touches and reduce costs
- Consider a SaaS WMS rather than an on-premise system
39. Six Easy to Implement Warehouse Improvements
Distribution Property Solutions, Inc. (DPSI) provides warehouse space optimization services and high density storage solutions. In this warehouse management how-to, writer Steve Cappella shares six methods for making warehouse improvements to increase productivity without spending a great sum of money.
Three key tips we like from Six Easy to Implement Warehouse Improvements:
- Ensure proper product and storage system slotting to reduce extensive travel in a pick area, excessive replenishment, and multiple handling of picked product on a pallet
- Measure results and monitor accountability of warehouse operations to improve productivity
- Use easy-to-read and organized location labels and signage within the pick path and floor stack areas to keep operators and products organized
40. 4 Ways to Improve Warehouse Operations & Efficiency
Snavely International’s Carl Lamb shares four ways to improve warehouse operations and efficiency in this part of a special series from the North American Wholesale Lumber Association. This warehouse management how-to examines the common issues of limited space and lack of efficiency.
Three key tips we like from 4 Ways to Improve Warehouse Operations & Efficiency:
- Measure key performance indicators (KPIs) and benchmark against other similar companies to drive efficiency
- Maintain a real-time view of warehouse inventory
- Drill into warehouse data to understand costs and then put programs into place that lead to improved gross margins
41. 5 Ways to Improve Order Picking Productivity
Supply Chain 24/7 is an online business resource for transportation, distribution, logistics, and supply chain professionals. In this warehouse management how-to, WMPVL president Marc Wulfraat recognizes the challenges of reducing labor costs while filling more orders with smaller quantities and offers five ways to improve picking operations to address those challenges.
Three key tips we like from 5 Ways to Improve Order Picking Productivity:
- Avoid mixing multiple SKUs in the same bin location
- Combine orders into a single travel instance to reduce time spent traveling
- Assign items that sell less frequently to vertical locations and keep top-selling items at floor level
42. How to Be an Effective Warehouse Manager
The Houston Chronicle is one of Texas’ largest news organizations and publishes print and online products. They share How to Be an Effective Warehouse Manager, an article by studioD’s Ruth Mayhew, to describe how streamlined warehouse activities improve profitability, efficiency, and productivity.
Three key tips we like from How to Be an Effective Warehouse Manager:
- Establish trust-based relationships with your people and communicate regularly
- Monitor warehouse operations to ensure compliance with industry standards and applicable laws
- Assign lead employees to perform checks and balances for inventory control
43. How to Create a Lean Warehouse Culture
Inbound Logistics is an educational supply chain resource for businesses seeking to better match demand to supply and to alter operations to enable the process. Their article, How to Create a Lean Warehouse Culture, is a management how-to that examines six lean warehouse tactics.
Three key tips we like from How to Create a Lean Warehouse Culture:
- Train employees in problem solving and help them feel like a highly-valued company asset to establish mutual trust and respect
- Communicate the lean vision and a reason for change and address why employees should work differently than in the past
- Recognize and celebrate success, no matter how small
44. Warehouse Productivity: 15 Experts Reveal Their Top Tips for More Efficient and Productive Warehouse Operations
Camcode offers barcode asset tags for property identification, UID compliance, warehouse management, and more. In this warehouse productivity blog post, 15 experts share their strategies for establishing more efficient and productive warehouse operations.
Three key tips we like from Warehouse Productivity: 15 Experts Reveal Their Top Tips for More Efficient and Productive Warehouse Operations:
- Use measurements and data and then get regular feedback to employees on individual and departmental performance ~ William Bauer, Royce Leather
- “Go up not out. Use the maximum existing vertical space. Fight for your air rights, compress shelf levels, and narrow the aisles in.” ~ Joe Schodowski, Shelving Inc.
- Review the velocity of your SKUs to optimize slotting ~ Ron Atapattu, ShipOCI
45. 10 Ideas for More Efficient & Productive Warehouse Operations
Cerasis is a third-party logistics company that empowers shippers via a transportation management system and integrated managed transportation services. Jennie Dannecker’s Cerasis warehouse management tips article, 10 Ideas for More Efficient & Productive Warehouse Operations, examines ways to streamline operations for improved results.
Three key tips we like from 10 Ideas for More Efficient & Productive Warehouse Operations:
- Consider automation to drive cost savings
- Create organized workstations according to the specific task and worker
- Take advantage of technology options and technological innovations to edge out the competition
46. Warehouse/DC Management: Six Best Practices for Better Inventory Management
Logistics Management serves executives, managers, and other professionals in the field of logistics and supply chain management. Roberto Michel’s warehouse management article shares six best practices for better inventory management in the omni-channel era.
Three key tips we like from Warehouse/DC Management: Six Best Practices for Better Inventory Management:
- Develop effective cross-functional teams to relay forecast and promotions plans to those responsible for outbound inventory and DC operations
- Consider a distributed order management (DOM) system as a solution for omni-channel fulfillment challenges
- Leverage common, forward-pick bins for most inventory to create efficient labor and increase ability to share inventory
47. Warehouse Best Practices: Maximizing Space Utilization
An About.com brand, The Balance offers clear, practical advice for finances. Martin Murray’s article for The Balance offers tips for reducing costs and improving efficiency by maximizing space utilization in order to store as many items as possible in an optimum space.
Three key tips we like from Warehouse Best Practices: Maximizing Space Utilization:
- Ensure the warehouse space is consistent with the times to be stored by making sure the bin location is suitable for the item
- Use containers in the warehouse that fit the item stored, rather than adopting a one size fits all approach to storage containers
- Avoid placing large items in the front of shelves
48. 11 Warehouse and Distribution Center Best Practices for Your Supply Chain
Legacy Supply Chain Services is a top-ranked North American supply chain and logistics provider. In 11 Warehouse and Distribution Center Best Practices for Your Supply Chain, Legacy shares tips for improving efficiency and cutting costs.
Three key tips we like from 11 Warehouse and Distribution Center Best Practices for Your Supply Chain:
- Set up a vendor compliance program to streamline for the bottom line
- Take advantage of automatic data collection technology to eliminate errors
- Use hands-free order selection processes that go beyond handheld scanners to newer technologies like wrist-mounted RF units, voice pick, pick- or put-to-light order fulfillment systems to accelerate the picking process
49. Expert Insight: Best Practices in Warehouse Returns
Supply Chain Digest shares the best supply chain news and insight. In this Supply Chain Digest Expert Insight paper, Ciber Inc.’s Alex Parvenov explains how best practices in returns can streamline the flow and reduce the high costs of reverse logistics.
Three key tips we like from Expert Insight: Best Practices in Warehouse Returns:
- Separate the physical process from the accounting process and allow for gaps between them
- Control the returns process through Returns Authorizations so that pre-approved returns can be received quickly to simplify the returns identification and speed overall processing
- Use best practices in data collections and flow by utilizing handheld scanners, interfacing into WMS, and interfacing into an accounting system
50. Warehouse Operations Best Practices: 51 Awesome Tips and Tactics to Help Improve Warehouse Management and Operations
This blog post from Camcode shares 51 tips for improving warehouse management and operations from industry thought leaders. Tips and tactics cover asset tracking, warehouse operations logistics, safety and risk management, optimizing warehouse operations, and improving inventory management for warehouse managers.
Three key tips we like from Warehouse Operations Best Practices: 51 Awesome Tips and Tactics to Help Improve Warehouse Management and Operations:
- Keep aisles clear for efficient inventory flow
- Make smart use of floor space
- Improve cycle time utilization through lean applications
Asset Tracking Solutions from Camcode: