The Trimble Juno 5S is a powerful handheld scanner that packs the necessary scanning capabilities with the rugged durability the field requires, all with a smartphone-inspired, familiar form factor. The Juno 5S’s claim to fame is its exceptional durability combined with impressive functionality, offering the functionality of multiple devices in a single, compact, and intuitive smartphone-like package tested to MIL-STD-810G standards. For this reason, the Trimble Juno 5S is a popular handheld barcode scanner for field applications, such as GIS inspection, utilities, and forest and park management.
Applications and Typical Uses
The Trimble Juno 5S’s rugged design and wide range of functionality make it suitable for a variety of applications, particularly field operations requiring asset management in less-than-ideal environmental conditions. The Trimble Juno 5S’s typical uses and applications span local government, environmental management, and utilities applications.
- Local government: GIS data collection, road and road asset management, parks and urban forest maintenance and management
- Environmental management: Forest and park service management, fisheries management, general environmental management
- Utilities: Asset management for several utilities industries, including water, wastewater, gas, and electric
All that rugged durability means little if the device lacks the functional scanning capabilities required for an enterprise’s range of applications. The Trimble Juno 5S doesn’t fall short in this area, either, with a wide range of 1D and 2D scanning capabilities. Note that you must choose the Juno 5S Barcode handheld model for this built-in functionality. The Trimble Juno 5S Barcode handheld also includes Trimble’s Scan Agent software, which allows you to customize scanning capabilities to meet your specifications.
Operating Systems and Software
The Trimble Juno 5S features a Windows Embedded Handheld operating system, complete with the Microsoft Office Mobile standard software package. An 8 megapixel camera with geotagging and dual LED flash adds functional use for applications in which photos of surrounding context are useful to communicate circumstances in the field that may be impacting service availability, identifying possible areas for expansion and a variety of other purposes.
Microsoft Task Manager and Notes keeps field technicians on-task and organized. Juno 5S devices have a microSD card slot for expanding memory capacity for out-of-range jobs that require significant documentation. Otherwise, this Bluetooth-enabled device offers Wi-Fi compatibility for seamless data syncing with other applications.
Ideal for field use for applications such as GIS and asset management, the Juno 5S can operate in temperatures ranging from more than 20 degrees below zero to more than 140 degrees Fahrenheit. It can operate in 90 percent relative humidity, withstand driving rain, water spray, and dust. In fact, its IP65 rating meets military specs.
Additional Features and Functionality
The Juno 5D model adds data, text and voice capabilities, resulting in a truly multi-functional device that’s well suited for the varied needs of field service technicians in many industries. All Juno 5 models can be used with a downloadable barcode scanning application, but it’s the Juno 5S model discussed in this review that offers built-in, certified 1D/2D scanning capabilities for reading a wide variety of matrices and symbologies that aren’t supported by downloadable apps.
The Juno 5S offers more features and functionality than any other fully rugged barcode scanner. There are several models available within the 5S line:
- Juno 5 SC: A basic handheld computer with barcode imager
- Juno 5 SX: Handheld computer with smart phone option and barcode imager
- Juno 5 SG: Handheld computer with Enhanced GPS and barcode imager (great for highly accurate geocoding of where those barcodes are in the field)
- Juno 5 XGS: Handheld computer, smartphone, enhanced GPS and barcode imager
Overall, the Trimble Juno 5S weighs less than one pound (0.84 pounds), including the battery. Because this handheld barcode scanner offers multi-device functionality, the Juno 5 dramatically cuts down on the equipment load for field technicians. That means your field team can stay focused on the task at hand, rather than keeping tabs on several devices and worrying about damage in less-than-ideal conditions.
All Juno 5S models offer IP 65 or IP 68 levels of rugged for drops and water and are tested to MIL-STD-810G levels for temperature, dust, humidity, vibration, shock, solar/UV exposure, and other environmental conditions that can compromise less-rugged handheld barcode scanners.
We found little feedback on problems with the Trimble Juno 5S series; overall, user opinions appear positive. We did read some feedback on the ArcGIS Forum regarding some battery life issues, and one user notes some compatibility issues when syncing from the Juno 5S’s WEHH operating system to other devices using Windows 8. The Android operating system isn’t Google-certified, the user says, so there’s no access to features such as Google Play and Google Docs.
However, the same user says the hardware is “outstanding,” and that Trimble is working to get its Android-based devices certified by Google. Users say that if you’ll need to use the Juno 5S for more than one day without access to a power source, plan to take extra batteries.
- White light illumination and red LED-based aimer for ease of use
- High-motion tolerance to deliver quick scanning responsiveness
- Omni-directional reading capabilities for real world use conditions
- Rapid Scanning Capability for high read rates no matter what the bar code angle or orientation is in relation to the unit
- IP 65 or IP 68 levels of rugged; tested to MIL-STD-810G standards
- Intuitive smartphone form-factor
- Large, multi-touch, 4.3-inch WVGA sunlight-readable Gorilla® glass display
- Juno 5D offers cellular compatibility for field communications
- Weighs less than one pound, including battery
- Wide range of 1D and 2D barcode scanning capabilities
- 8 megapixel camera with geotagging and dual LED flash GPS for visual documentation
- Choice of operating systems
Scanning Capabilities: 1D and 2D, depending on model and specifications
1D Supported Symbologies: EAN/UPC, GS1 Databar (limited expanded & omni-directional), Code 39, Code 128, UCC/EAN 128, ISBN, ISBT, Interleaved/Matrix/Industrial and Standard 2 of 5, Codabar, Code 93/93i, Code 11, MSI, Plessey, Telepen, postal codes (Australian Post, BPO, Canada Post, Dutch Post, Japan Post,PostNet, Sweden Post)
2D Supported Symbologies: Data Matrix, PDF417, Micro PDF 417, Codablock, Maxicode, QR, Aztec
- Microsoft Office Mobile 2010
- Trimble SatViewer
- Trimble CellStart
- Microsoft My Phone with SMS text messaging (Juno 5D only)
- Windows Media Player
- Windows Live Messenger
- Adobe Reader LE 2.5
- Microsoft Task Manager & Notes
- Other software: camera control app, flashlight mode control, Microsoft pictures and videos
Software Compatibility: Depends on the OS – get details here
- International AC charging kit
- USB cable
- 2-pack, ultra-clear screen protectors
- Wrist strap
- Quick-start guide
- 9-pin serial adapter
- USB Host adapter
- Capacitive stylus with tether
- Capacitive touch screen gloves
- Trimble headset
- External battery pack
- Vehicle charging kit
- Screen protectors
- External GPS antenna
Cost: *Est. $2,500
Images courtesy TrimbleGoogle+